Austin's greatest asset is its people: passionate about our city and committed to its improvement.
What is Imagine Austin?
Imagine Austin is the city's comprehensive plan, created by the people of Austin to guide the city's growth and answer the question "what sort of city do we want Austin to be?"
This new vision for Austin engaged thousands of residents over a nine month period beginning with the kickoff of the Imagine Austin planning process in October 2009.
Residents described their ideas for the city’s bicentennial in 2039 through community forums, social media, surveys, focus groups, small meetings between neighbors, and special events.
In 2012, Austin's City Council voted unanimously to adopt the Imagine Austin Comprehensive Plan, a living, working document driven by public participation to chart a future of opportunity, community, and inclusiveness.
Compact and Connected
The emphasis on compact and connected underscores Imagine Austin’s goal of reversing the sprawl development pattern of the past decades.
Promoting compact and connected growth patterns is essential to achieving the other priorities of Imagine Austin and is the foundation of an affordable, mobile and healthy city.
The People's Plan
Thousands of Austinites shaped Imagine Austin throughout the public process, including over 18,000 public inputs from the community over two years. Public input guided these priority programs:
- Invest in a compact and connected Austin
- Sustainably manage our water resources
- Continue to grow Austin’s economy by investing in our workforce, education systems, entrepreneurs, and local businesses
- Use green infrastructure to protect environmentally sensitive areas and integrate nature into the city
- Grow and invest in Austin’s creative economy
- Develop and maintain household affordability throughout Austin
- Create a healthy Austin
- Revise Austin’s development regulations and processes to promote compact and connected city
Changing Isn't Easy
As we grow and evolve, how can we preserve and amplify the special things we value about Austin? How can we improve the city and meet our challenges head-on?
Top banner images courtesy of the City of Austin. Graphs Imagine Austin logos courtesy of the Imagine Austin Comprehensive Plan.